Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cloth Wipes

When we first started using cloth diapers, I read about cloth wipes somewhere. I thought, "Ew, who wants to wash poop rags to reuse?" Then I thought about it... d'oh wasn't I doing the same thing with her diapers?? So cloth wipes wouldn't be any different.

When most people change a diaper they put the used wipes inside the soiled diaper and seal it all up to throw away. You can't do that with disposable wipes into a cloth diaper. So in theory, cloth wipes should be easier right?

One of my maternity leave projects was to make cloth wipes. Using this website, I bought fleece on clearance at Hobby Lobby for about $4, and cut the fleece into 4x8 inch rectangles. My wonderful mother was so excited that I was finally interested in sewing and she showed me how to use her sewing machine. I have to say, it's a lot harder than it looks and it kills your back! Even so, I enjoyed learning and can't wait for my next project. Since the material we bought was plain white, I wanted the edges sewn in different colored threads. The seams were to prevent fraying after washing. We were able to get approximately 36 wipes out of the $4 fleece!

Then came my next dilemma. How can a dry wipe clean a baby's bum? There are a couple of options for you to use. One is to buy a spray (which I did just for fun) to spray on either the bum or the wipe. I got the Thirsties spray from Tiny Birds Organic Baby. You can also make your own solution for cheap, and that's actually my plan for at home. The spray is great when you're on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment