Monday, April 4, 2011

Migraines

Back story: I've been getting severe migraines for years now and have been off/on Rx meds since early 2007. When deciding to get pregnant I had weaned myself (with my neurologist's consent) from all medicines except vitamins and was feeling great. As soon as I gave birth, my migraines came back to once a week or so. I have Fioricet to take with the onset of a migraine, but even that isn't helping lately. I've obviously used NSAIDS such as tylenol, naproxen and Excedrin but I seriously think these are a placebo for me so I feel like I've at least tried to cure it. I've tried triptans... Imitrex, Maxalt, Relpex, Axert, all with no luck. I used to take 100 mg of Topamax and it basically cured my migraines. However the side effects were intense: anorexia (not by choice, I just didn't eat because I was never hungry so it wasn't psychological), loss of motor skills, poor memory, speech problems, fatigue, and it adversely affected relationships with everybody around me.

So then I tried the non-medical route. Chiropractor, acupuncture, acupressure, massage, aromatherapy, ice/heat, relaxation breathing techniques, biofeedback, and psychotherapy.

Now that I've had Addie, they're back full circle. I can't take Topamax because I'm still breastfeeding, and there's no point in taking the triptan drugs. None of the alternative therapies have made a lasting effect, so I'm just done. I'm done. I want to feel better. I want to take care of my daughter. I want to be a good teacher. I don't want to be a zombie any more.

I'm pleading to anybody out there who has migraines. What do you do? What has worked/hasn't worked for you?

3 comments:

  1. Well this is going to be no help at all to you. But, I've suffered from migraines as well. Tried the Rx meds (Fioricet being one) that did NOTHING for me. I've tried lots of overthecounter meds like Tylenol, etc. but nothing works other than Aleve for me (which is supposed to be really bad for you if taken too much). I find that massage therapy seems to work best when focused on the base of my neck (where most of my migraines settle and cause the most pain). Have you tried doing a diary of your daily activies to see what actually is causing the migraines? I did for a few weeks, and found several things that would trigger a migraine for me, so I of course, try to avoid those things. Like lack of sleep (HA we have infants!!!), reduction of caffeine, etc. Maybe if you can find something that triggers your migraines you can stop it before it begins. Just a thought. I know it's not much help...but at least something to get a jumpstart on it. :-) Good luck and I hope they pass soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tori!!

    Give the InfantRisk Center (IRC) a call! They have information on what medications are safe to take while breastfeeding and/or pregnant. Dr. Hale, who runs the IRC, is the leading lactation expert in the world. Here's their site: http://www.infantrisk.com/

    And here's the number: (806)-352-2519.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steph! It sounds like we have similar triggers, and those triggers are inevitable as a new mommy. Mine are lack of sleep, dehydration and skipped or delayed meals. When the weather changes, most of the time a migraine pops up then as well. It's so frustrating, and I'm so sorry you're going through the same thing, too.

    I'm addicted to caffeine but when I have a migraine, it's the first thing I use for relief. It doesn't help that that's an ingredient in Fioricet.

    Anon - I wish I knew who you were to personally thank you, but THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete